Wednesday 30 June 2010

star - Standard conditions for a heliacal rising

What I do is compute the limiting magnitude for the position of the object I am interested in, and subtract it from the magnitude of the object (I call this the magnitude contrast). If negative, it should be visible with the naked eye. I use the function limmag_jd() in the Fortran library libTheSky for this.



In order to find the best moment in a given night, I compute the contrast for say every 15 minutes, and find the minimum. You can do this for a number of nights, until the best contrast found is negative, which would be the heliacal rising.



I'm not sure whether there is an easy way using a simple equation - the limiting magnitude will depend on things like the positions of Sun, Moon and the object in question, the phase of the Moon, the magnitude of the object, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment