Monday 5 March 2012

history - When did the Scutum constellation receive its current name?

While cleaning my desk, I found an out of date star map (puts the cleaning into perspective, huh?) where the Scutum constellation is still referred to as Scutum Sobiescianum). This is the original name Johannes Hevelius gave it in 1684



My map is (unfortunately) modern and comes from the 2nd half of the 20th century. It's a Polish one so it's not odd for it to still use the traditional name. The main illustration of the Scutum article in Polish Wikipedia happens to do so as well.



Scutum in Polish Wikipedia



I know the name of the constellation has been changed but I can't find any information on who did it and when. I suppose it must have been the IAU (International Astronomical Union) but I have no idea regarding the time of the change.



When was the English name of the constellation officially changed and who did it?

No comments:

Post a Comment