Tuesday 17 November 2009

telescope - What would be the maximum theoretically possible angular resolution?

I have studied some basic astronomy, but I have difficulty conceptualizing the physics of luminosity and optics. We use electromagnetic spectra to detect existence and properties of distant planets, but I am curious about the extent of what could theoretically be optically captured.



(I am unsure if optical is the correct term, but I'm referring to what could be directly captured vs. computed.)



Assuming the use of technology far beyond what we currently are capable of, what is the maximum possible optical angular resolution we could theoretically obtain of a distant sky object? Or, for example, of the surface topography of an outer planet/moon/dwarf planet?



What would be the limiting factor at the extreme end of possible angular resolution?

No comments:

Post a Comment