Tuesday 3 December 2013

pharmacology - Looking for a cancer drug target database to guide sequencing of patient tumor DNA

I have a question I would like to pose to the community. I have recently received access to a bench-top ion torrent DNA sequencer. Our idea is to use this machine to sequence the DNA from patient’s tumors in order to guide treatment options. My job is to identify a list of all currently used anti-neoplastic drugs along with their known targets (i.e., specific genes and mutations) and accession numbers. I would like to put these data in a table in which each row corresponds to a different drug.



For example, a row in the table might read (column names are indicated in brackets): [disease] breast cancer, [drug] trastuzumab, [drug target] HER2/neu receptor, [gene] ERBB2, [location] chr17:37844393-37884915, [mutation type] amplification, [accession number] ENSG00000141736. The pathologists would then be able to use this database in order to select appropriate genes for sequencing whenever they receive a tumor specimen. If the patient’s tumor had an amplified ERBB2 gene, they could be given trastuzumab.



Currently our study is in pre-planning stages (i.e., we won’t actually be testing this on patients any time soon). I would appreciate it if anyone could give me on advice on how to go about creating such a database. I am aware of online databases including COSMIC, Sanger's Cancer Gene Census, and the Potential Drug Target Database (PDTD), but they don’t have everything that I’m looking for. I am familiar with R and could use it to combine data from multiple sources if necessary. If anyone else has comments or suggestions for further reading that would also be appreciated. Thanks!



Note: This question has also been posed on a Research Gate forum: http://www.researchgate.net/topic/Cancer_Biology/post/Looking_for_a_cancer_drug_target_database_to_guide_sequencing_of_patient_tumor_DNA

No comments:

Post a Comment