Friday 11 August 2006

structural biology - How do you turn a minimal CIF description into a complete one?

I have a CIF file that I downloaded from the PDB, but if I try to use it in Coot, it complains that it is not a complete CIF definition. This page provides a batch script that I may be able to tease apart to suit my needs, but I thought there was a way to do this from within the CCP4 Program Suite GUI/job manager.



Maddeningly, I see in my project job history a couple "dictionary" jobs where I did this, but I utterly forgot how I set them up (forgive the asinine names):



CCP4 dictionary jobs



When I try to use the Monomer Library Sketcher (under Refinement/Restraint Preparation) and open a CIF ("mmCIF") file, nothing happens.



Also under the sketcher, I can severely abuse the "Load Monomer from Library" and it looks like I get the right thing:



load monomer from library dialog



However, when setting up the above, it throws "Error: can't read "monomer_lib(code,n..." warnings, then when running it generates the Geometry file (seemingly successfully) then says that Libcheck failed when trying to create the coordinate file.




If there are other solutions, I'd be interested as well. I've used PRODRG to create CIF files before with its draw tool, but it can be a bit clumsy, it ignores how I drew my double bonds, and it creates new names for all the atoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment