Wednesday 18 July 2007

mathematical software - Create djvu from jpeg - best practices and tutorial?

This is definitely not a mathematical question, but a relevant one I believe. There are incomplete versions of some books floating around the web and I want to put in the missing pages. There is a good book scanner at our university, albeit I have not really understood most of its functions yet. At the moment I am able to scan color JPGs. So I've got a batch of color JPGs, what next should I do? I want a djvu file.



I have tried cpaldjvu from djvulibre, but it seems to hang up on one single jpg. (Size 2MB.) Some people recommend passing through PDF, but this looks like a lot of overhead work to me. Is there a good tutorial for non-experts? (For Windows or Ubuntu - but bear with an Ubuntu noob who barely knows how to install packages. I am able, however, to script a few lines in bash.)



Besides, is pre-processing of the JPGs in a graphics editor helpful? Is it of use to cut out the margins, or are they useful for the DJVU encoder to approximate the background color?



PS. I think I know how to split DJVU files into pieces and reassemble them. I am only interested in JPG->DJVU here.

No comments:

Post a Comment