Saturday 1 August 2015

word usage - Equivocal meaning of "Have a backlog of (something)"

Based upon our conversation in comments:



Backlog conveys a sense of unfinished tasks that need to be completed. As Reg states below, it does carry a mildly negative connotation that can be modified situationally. I won't reiterate his excellent answer here.



If you are speaking of unused items or goods, you would use the term surplus.



Surplus means an amount or quantity greater than needed. Definition link here.



If you want to convey a sense that this is a negative, you would say: unwanted surplus.




If you'll excuse me, I have a backlog of unfinished reports to get to.




vs.




I have an unwanted surplus of goat cheese. It is going to rot before I can sell it!
or
I have an unexpected surplus of cash this year, I'm going to buy a Ferrari!




I think this fits the meaning you are looking for far better than backlog.

No comments:

Post a Comment